It is important for you to tell your elected and appointed representatives about the type of society that you would and would not like to live in. It is important that those who rely on commercial food production make themselves available to get involved in reversing the failure of the bees and other food-pollinating insects. The USA government agency who would like to hear from you most on the issue of the bees dying, is the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Hosting a “Save the Bees!” letter writing mission is an important way to voice objection to the Environmental Protection Agency’s current action deadlock. The EPA currently allows the production, sale, and usage of the chemicals which are killing food pollinators faster than they can repopulate.
The information below was inspired and adapted from a letter writing party hosting method, and should be used only as a guide. Adjust for comfort and efficiency whenever necessary.
If you are interested in writing a “Save the Bees!” letter or hosting a letter writing party, here are the steps that you might take to do so:
- Set an initial date, time, and location for your letter writing. Mark your calendar(s) and commit to keep the appointment.
- Invite potential letter writing partiers, who may include your (literal) neighbors and your online social and professional networks.
- A “paper” invitation to neighbors might include making a door sign.
- Online invitations to social and professional networks might include this information:
– Date, time (start/end), and location of gathering
– Materials provided (Ex: Paper or postcards, writing utensils, envelopes, stamps, snacks, beverages, etc.)
– Remaining material needs (Ex: Paper or postcards, writing utensils, envelopes, stamps, snacks, beverages, etc.)
– RSVP to information (Ex: “Please RSVP for this event online at [this link].”)
- Pre-gathering: Obtain a letter sample. (Hint: Open this link and use your laptop instead of printing anything out.)
- Pre-gathering: Think about providing water and light snacks to keep the energy up.
- Once the letter writing mission is complete, use these addresses:
USEPA Ariel Rios Building (AR)
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.
Washington, DC 20004
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue N.W.
Washington, DC 20500